Monday, August 2, 2010

With You.... Or Without You

I have been faced with something that I am not sure what to do with. Usually, I try and have something to say or at least an opinion on various subjects... but this one hit a little too close to home for me to be able to figure out what I think. So, I am just going to think through it in public... let's see how this goes.
I have a friend that I have known for years. This person has been through so many things with me. She has seen the worst side of me in many different ways. She has seen addiction at it's worst in me and stuck with me. She saw me battle alcohol for many years.. she was always there. She never judged me. She just kept believing that one day I would clean up and become an upstanding individual.
I am not saying that I have everything together... but, I am a very different person than I was then. I am not the best Christian that you will ever meet. I say things that I shouldn't. I think wrong... I am rude sometimes.... I have no tact... I sin... I screw up... but, one thing I can say is that I don't care if I fall 5000 times in a day, I will go to God and ask for forgiveness. I am not ashamed to ask Him for anything. I am also not ashamed to go onto this forum or any other (such as Facebook) and write about God if I so choose. Here is where the problem is....
She told me that if I talk about God, I'm getting deleted from her friend page. I don't really care either way if someone deletes me off of anything... no one can blot my name out of the only book I care about! The thing that is bothering me is that I was a TERRIBLE person... and she stuck with me. But, now that I want to live as a Christian-- that seems to be just TOO terrible?
I'm not going to die when people say that they don't want to be my friend anymore... I'm not 6. But, I do wonder why people will be tolerant of all kinds of things but just whisper the name of Jesus and people really get offended. Again, I don't care if an offense comes... I'm not going to stand in the corner and whisper just to make someone happy... or comfortable. I am just kinda hurt that someone that was a part of my life for so long would show their true colors and throw me out because of a decision to follow Christ.
No Worries
Ray

5 comments:

  1. that is sad Rachel. Hopefully she will change her mind about that, but you are right to keep being the person you are without having to apologize. When you know that Jesus has really done something in your life, and talk about it, it seems to just make some people very uncomfortable. I was once one of those people when my best friend became a Christian, but a few years later, I had to admit that I wanted what she had! You have the right attitude girl, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a shame. Sorry about that! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people don't like to hear about God because in their hearts they know they fall short, and they aren't willing to change. You have made that change that she didn't. It is possible that your previous failures made her feel good about herself. Have you heard the expression "Misery loves company"? If you are no longer miserable because you have the love of God shining through you, she now sees how miserable she really is and doesn't like it. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy(Mom and Momom) :)August 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM

    Yes,they are all right in thier comments. Like I always told you, You can't change other people,only be an example to them. It's hard enough sometimes to change things in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, you are right... sadly alot of people act just like this person...be proud of yourself rachel, i am!! -jenny f

    ReplyDelete