Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I Attend 8 Year Old Theology

After last week, this week should be easier. I had four friends of mine lose their life in one way or another. I still feel pretty wrecked about all the situations-- obviously. As I try and come to terms with last week's events, my daughter comes to my rescue again. She said something to me and now all I can do is wonder why in the world these things come out of her mouth.
We had a very long day. People came over for a birthday party. By people, I mean about 50 of our closest family and friends. It was crazy. But, it was a good time to just forget about all the death I had been dealing with. It was nice to celebrate life for a moment. So, Olivia had been in the pool for what seemed to be all day! I had her get ready for bed and then she sat next to me on the couch. Her little tan body was radiating heat as she dozed on and off for about 20 minutes. I finally told her it was time for bed and she asked if I would come lay with her. I obliged her happily.
The moment our heads hit the pillows, she got the idea that we should talk before we went to sleep. So, we turned to one another and just had mommy and daughter time. It was nice. Then, she decided she was going to have a deep conversation with me. I would love to be able to say that it was deep to her and easy for me... but, it wasn't.
Olivia: Mommy, I've been thinking...
Me: About what?
Olivia: Well, about fear and how people act.
Me: OK?
Olivia: Do you know that the people that SAY they aren't afraid of anything... and the people that ACT like they're not afraid of anything are ACTUALLY AFRAID OF EVERYTHING? They just use their words to make people believe a lie!
Me: Uhhhhhh...... Where's this coming from?
Olivia: I just see how you act sometimes. It's ok to be afraid Mommy. Jesus will protect you.
Me: Thanks Baby... time for bed.

So, without explaining anything else... she has had my mind all upside down since then. I mean, SHE'S 8!!! Why would she know that? Why would she understand any of that? And while I'm at it... WHY DON'T I UNDERSTAND IT????

No Worries
Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment