Sunday, January 23, 2011

One Hundred Pounds

So, if you have seen me in the last 9 years- you know that I have gained A LOT of weight. Most of the time I end up making jokes that are EXTREMELY inappropriate about myself to take the edge off of how I really feel about it. But, this year is going to be different.
I started eating healthy and counting calories. I am eating about 6 times a day now. I eat even when I am not hungry. The difference is now I am eating broccoli and carrots for my snacks instead of whatever I was eating before. I have "cheated" a couple times... but having said that, I am not going to live my life and say I am NEVER going to eat things that are bad for me ever again. I had pizza last night and today I walked it off. I eat MOSTLY healthy. I usually don't go out to eat but when I do- I pick the healthy choices. I also don't feel the need to pick something that has the food because now I eat so much-- I have no need to eat a lot at ANY time of the day.
So, I eat egg whites and turkey sausage with no fat cheese and 1/2 cup of potatoes on most mornings... but I've also fallen in love with Dunkin' Donuts new flatbread breakfast choices. I eat a lot of salad but with healthier choices on the dressing... but if I really want one of the bad ones, I just use less of it.
The secret to my 12 pound loss in 23 days is that I am not going to kill myself by doing this... If I want something that is not healthy- then I have it. I just keep myself disciplined to work it off that day or the day after. I want to be healthy... I want to shop in stores without wondering if they have a "Misses" section. (For those of you that don't know... that is code for PLUS SIZES.)
My goal is 100 pounds this year... and so far, I am wayyyy ahead of schedule... but I am not going to slack off... I am going to do this.. because it is the best choice for me and my daughter.
No Worries
Ray

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on this decision, Rachel. I know you can do it if you really put your mind to it. If I can do it, anyone can...but better to do it before you have the health problems that I do. My weight has creeped back up on me this past year, so I am basically doing the same thing as you. I have to drop 43 pounds, but I have already lost 9 lbs. so far. And just a word of advice (from experience) don't get discouraged if you don't see a weight loss every week...keep on it and the weight will start to come off again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a butt-load of weight to lose too! I am trying to make changes that I can live with the rest of my life. The fact is...I love food and can't be one of those people who eats nothing all day. I am walking or riding my exercise bike for 4-5 times a week, trying to cut back on my food obsessions (sweets),choosing healthier options or portion control at my meals and also like you, trying to eat smaller quantities of food but more often during the day. I want to be active for the rest of my life and exercise is so important to me. The fact is, I like going for walks, they feel good in my head and my legs! Just sometimes it is too hot or in the winter, too cold, but I have several fitness dvds and the bike to use, so...no excuses for me!
    People on the Biggest Loser who weighed 400 pounds and were on insulin got to be off their meds after losing 100 pounds, so even at 300 pounds they were healthier because of exercise. One of the contestants this applied to said "Exercise is a healer" I need to regulate my blood pressure and get my cholesterol down, and my life has to change for the long run to do so!
    You are doing great Rachel, I am so proud of you!! Pray for me and I'll pray for you to achieve all the goals we want and need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome Rachel! I wish i had your motivation!!!! -jenny franchi

    ReplyDelete