Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Giving The School The Finger

So, as many people already know, I gave birth to someone that has a very high IQ. Don't worry, I don't take credit for that. I am semi-intelligent when it comes to useless information... but after that, I am a regular ding dong!!
My Livy Lu scored 154 on the IQ test that they gave her last year. (She was 7.) This means that she has a higher IQ than 99.9% of all adults, at the tender age of 7. She is now 8- almost 9 (let's not remind me of this part.) Anyway, she was accepted into the gifted program with open arms. They promised the world to her. Eventually, I found out that the gifted school is funded per child... so, now I know it wasn't technically because they wanted to cultivate her intelligence.
She went into the gifted school last year. They got to take trips every week... they got to participate in studies... they got laptops... they had everything. This year, they received the same treatment in that respect. But, the requirements went through the roof!! She had to do a book report every week... (complete with 12-slide Power Point and clay diorama)... 50 vocabulary words a week (ex: contingency)... Just crazy!!! Recess was also taken away. They treat these kids like little lab rats!! The people in administration told me that they were given opportunities that no one else was provided. They were right... but what about play time? What about these kids only being 8 and 9 years old? They explained the recess problem like this.. "They might not have play time that way... but they get to study forensics now!!"
So, I took my little baby out of there. Those people told me how I was taking her future away... so, I turned and said, "I may be... but you will never be able to say that I took her present away." They had nothing to say to me then.
Moral of the story? Olivia will always be very intelligent. She will always be the apple of my eye. She will always make me smile when I feel like crying... and she will always know that her mommy is more concerned with who she is versus who she COULD be.
No Worries
Ray

2 comments:

  1. good move Rachel! Kids should be carefree and happy at that age, along with normal homework and all. They shouldn't have to be rocket scientists yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sounds like it was so stressful for her! :( Sorry to hear that. Good for you, doing what you did. I hope Olivia enjoys her new school!

    ReplyDelete